Want to Make Your Own Typing Test?
Important Note: Using the Firefox browser is not recommended. See below.
Step 1: Modify the Google Spreadsheet Template
- Make a copy of this template. (You'll need to sign-in with your Google account.)
- Edit the Title and Text of each test. Delete the title of any test you don't want to use.
- Set the Time (minutes) of each test.
- The test will end once all the text has been typed, even if there is time remaining.
- If time is left empty the test will not end until all text has been typed.
- Maximum test time is 10:00.
- Optional: Add an email address in the Email Results to line to automatically receive test results.
- You can use multiple email addresses separated by commas.
- (Be sure you can receive emails from firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Label your typing tests by changing the name of the worksheet (at the bottom).
- Do not edit any cell with a blue background.
Step 2: Publish Your Spreadsheet
- Go to File, Publish to the Web
, then click Publish.
Step 3: Get Your Flippity.net Link
- Click on the Get the Link Here tab of the template (at the bottom).
- Click on the Flippity.net link to see your typing test page.
Step 4: Bookmark and Share
- Bookmark the page to find it again quickly.
- Share the Flippity.net link with anyone you want to take your typing tests.
Frequently Asked Questions
How are the results calculated?
- Typing speed is calculated in words per minute (WPM). A word is defined as any five characters including spaces.
- Accuracy is the ratio of correctly typed letters to all letters typed expressed as a percentage.
- Adjusted speed is the typing speed taking into account only correctly typed letters.
- (Test takers may use backspace to correct their typing during the test.)
Why is Firefox not recommended?
- In Firefox pressing the backspace key on the keyboard is equivalent to clicking the back button on the browser. This means test takers may inadvertently be sent back to a previous page during their test and lose their progress.
- It is possible to disable the backspace function in Firefox:
- Type about:config in the address bar.
- Scroll down to browser.backspace_action.
- Change the value from 0 to 2.