Important Note: Using the Firefox browser is not recommended. See below.
Step 1: Modify the Google Spreadsheet Template
- Make a copy of this template. (You'll need to sign-in with your Google account.)
- Edit the Title and Text of each test. Delete the title of any test you don't want to use.
- Set the Time (minutes) of each test.
- The test will end once all the text has been typed, even if there is time remaining.
- If time is left empty the test will not end until all text has been typed.
- Maximum test time is 10:00.
- Optional: Add an email address in the Email Results to line to automatically receive test results.
- You can use multiple email addresses separated by commas.
- (Be sure you can receive emails from firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Label your typing tests by changing the name of the worksheet (at the bottom).
- Do not edit any cell with a blue background.
Step 2: Publish Your Spreadsheet
- Go to File, Share, Publish to web, then click Publish.
Step 3: Get Your Flippity.net Link
- Click on the Get the Link Here tab of the template (at the bottom).
- Click on the Flippity.net link to see your typing test page.
Step 4: Bookmark and Share
- Bookmark the page to find it again quickly.
- Share the Flippity.net link with anyone you want to take your typing tests.
Frequently Asked Questions
How are the results calculated?
- Typing speed is calculated in words per minute (WPM). A word is defined as any five characters including spaces.
- Accuracy is the ratio of correctly typed letters to all letters typed expressed as a percentage.
- Adjusted speed is the typing speed taking into account only correctly typed letters.
- (Test takers may use backspace to correct their typing during the test.)
Why is Firefox not recommended?
- In Firefox pressing the backspace key on the keyboard is equivalent to clicking the back button on the browser. This means test takers may inadvertently be sent back to a previous page during their test and lose their progress.
- It is possible to disable the backspace function in Firefox:
- Type about:config in the address bar.
- Scroll down to browser.backspace_action.
- Change the value from 0 to 2.
Does Typing Test work with iPads/tablets?
- No, in order to prevent copy/paste cheating, Flippity Typing Test does not use a standard text box, but rather mimics typing when keyboard keys are pressed. iPads do not recognize that the user is expected to type and does not activate the on screen keyboard.
Does Typing Test work with non-English alphabets?
- Maybe. If students can type the appropriate characters with a standard U.S. keyboard set to the appropriate language, then they may be able to complete a typing test with French, German, Italian, or Spanish characters. Flippity does not work with advanced language packages like Chinese, Hindi, Korean, or Japanese.
Can I put line breaks in my typing tests?
- Yes, type a tilde (~) anywhere you'd like a line break to occur. Students will see ⏎ and they will need to press Enter or Return at that point.