Step 1: Modify the Google Spreadsheet Template
- Make a copy of this template. (You'll need to sign-in with your Google account.)
- Edit the words and clues. Use as many words as you want, but the more terms you use, the less likely it is that your crossword will fit onto one printed page.
- Label your crossword puzzle by changing the name of the worksheet (at the bottom).
- Do not edit any cell with a blue background.
Step 2: Publish Your Spreadsheet
- Go to File, Publish to the Web
, then click Publish.
Step 3: Get Your Flippity.net Link
- Click on the Get the Link Here tab of the template (at the bottom).
- Click on the Flippity.net link to see and print out your crossword puzzle.
- Press the reload button to generate different configurations.
- Press the key button to see and print the answer key.
Step 4: Bookmark and Share
- Bookmark the page to find it again quickly.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I play my Crossword online?
- Crosswords are designed to be printed, not played online.
Can I use pictures as clues?
- Yes, just paste the URL (address) of a picture you find on the web in the appropriate cell.
- URLs must end in ".gif", ".png", ".jpg", ".jpeg", or ".webp".
- You cannot use Google Drive to store your images.
- You can use Google Drawings. Use the "Publish to the web…" link.
- Images are automatically resized.
- (Be sure you have the legal right to use each image.)
Can I make crosswords with langauges that read right-to-left?
- Yes, to reverse the horizontal direction of languages like Hebrew or Arabic, do the following:
- Type direction in the first cell of the Word column (cell A2).
- Type rtl in the first cell of the Clue column (cell B2).